Ludum Dare 40 took place last weekend, the theme was the title above. Honestly it wasn’t the theme I was hoping for, but in the end, I took an idea I had and adjusted it slightly to work.
The idea I had was that a single level would slowly get corrupted and change, you can shoot away the corruption, but touching the corruption would kill you. This already could fit the theme quite well, the more corruption in the world means the worse it is for you. I wanted players to move around a lot, so I had the additional goal of collecting glitch boxes, which would create more corruption over time.
I used HaxeFlixel to develop the game, as it was bread-and-butter for me in game jams such as Ludum Dare, especially when there is not much time to work on an idea (I had spent the entire Saturday out with friends for winter festivities, all I did was write notes on what the idea would be, so in all I only had around 11 hours to work on a game).
To get the corruption to update and move around, I used the tilemap system and updated the grid with Conway’s Game of Life algorithm, that way it gave the impression of mutating outwards or dying out depending on the numbers. Fortunately, with recent updates to HaxeFlixel, you could do collision response based on specific tiles, so it was easily possible to remove tiles and change the map when bullets collided with it. The extra artefacts also use Conway’s Game of Life. although the grid is 4 times larger than the main corruption grid.
The artwork was done in Photoshop, although it was a very simple and rushed job. The “corrupt” graphics was a multicoloured character set that I had to create and tweak by hand to fit into a 10×10 pixel grid.
The music was a combination of cgMusic and LMMS, quite a good combo to have because it meant I let one program generate a music set, then import it into LMMS as a midi file for me to set instruments (using soundfonts), effects and tweak the melodies how I like.
I managed to upload the game with around 30 minutes left before the compo deadline!
On Tuesday I fixed that timer, which appeared broken when you reached a minute because I messed up how the string was being built. It took a few uploads for those changes to appear, something that kind of frustrates me about HTML5 and how web browsers will not always clear out the cache if the content has been changed.
This wasn’t the only games jam I did this winter, I also took part in PROCJAM, where I built a planet generator. It’s not my best work to be honest, although I was able to work and improve my 3D OpenGL rendering in the Vigilante Framework.