Ludum Dare 42 – Closing in on Pascal

The game jam for August was Ludum Dare 42, so with it coming to a close, I thought it’d be good to talk about how the submission [Closing in on Pascal](https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/42/closing-in-on-pascal) came about and what I learned from it.

Ludum Dare 42 was particularly exciting for me, as it was the first LD in a long time that I had a completely free weekend. As such, I decided to plan the first day entirely for gameplay, with graphics and audio on the second day. That way I get a solid game and then plenty of time to work on making it look and sound nice, you’ll find out why that plan isn’t flawless as it sounds.

When it came to the theme, I was already very pessimistic that it would be a theme I’d be happy with, it’s been a common trend for people to vote on the theme that no one wants. I even voted against the theme “Running Out of Space” but when it turns out to be the chosen one, I thought it was pretty good.

The concept of running out of space I had was inspired by the cartoon trap of the walls closing in on someone in a temple. I figured a game where the player has to reach an exit before the room crushes them to death.

Fortunately, I have a bit of experience with platformers in my game engine from a previous jam, so the tilemap, jump physics and mechanics such as wall jumping I have previously implemented.

LD42-00000.gif

The jump animations itself was done because I remembered the indie platformer INK having good squash & stretch. To achieve it I modify the scale so that it squashes inwards when going up and stretches outward. If I had more abilities to adjust the individual vertices I could do more fun aspects of moving like skewing.

LD42-00001.gif

Since my idea was inspired by a temple film/TV trope, I already had the visual theme in my mind. I also thought it would be good if I had a little cartoon character who’d look like Indiana Jones. It was fun working with pixel art and animation once again, but if I was to do this again I would have done a much simpler approach. The player character is way too small for the game screen, meaning that its animations are pretty much useless. I also had a bit of issue with making the colours stand out so it doesn’t feel all yellow and brown.

LD42-00002.gif

In the end, it took around 3 – 4 hours to work on the background environments and 5 hours to work on the player sprite and all the obstacles. If I went with a much simpler design or scrapped the temple theming and used the simple colours and shapes it would have been much clearer and easier to look at.

LD42-00009.gif

The sound and music was achieved with LMMS and BFXR. I like making NES-like chiptune in there but I do notice it’s restrictive in areas like tones and tempo, so I couldn’t get the sounds I want. It also didn’t help that thanks to the graphics, I had much less time to work on sound and music so it ended up rushed.

The post-jam has most of what I would have added or done better if I had time. Particle effects, using directional keys as well as the WASD buttons, and a better title logo. I would have also worked on more levels but seeing how many levels players are willing to go through, then maybe the existing levels should have been improved slightly.

I’m a little worried about what the rankings will be for this one, I’m definitely glad I could take part but I feel as though I wasted too much time on the graphics when a simpler approach would have been effective. You can go check out [Closing in on Pascal](https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/42/closing-in-on-pascal).

Advertisements